Friday, June 3, 2011

Mobile App Languages

Summer's almost here, and I am feeling ambitious about learning more about mobile apps. Recently I designed a mobile app for my group at EDC using Actionscript. To see it wander onto my iPhone was nothing short of miraculous the first time, and it has been great fine-tuning it. However, optimizing its performance so that everything runs smoothly is a challenge - and it looks like this challenge is compounded with adapting it for the iPad. For this app in particular, I will be continuing to beta test before sending it to the iTunes store.

Thinking more broadly, however, I'm interested in learning more about designing mobile apps - both by learning design patterns within actionscript, and by learning other frameworks. I'm going to start drawing from the iOS Developer Library more heavily and getting more familiar with XCode. I want to learn more about HTML5 and how that could be used to support mobile apps. Finally, jquerymobile looks like a good framework to know. My plan will be to get enough of an overview of each area so that I can start small projects with each one. Lots of undiscovered territory on the app front that I look forward to exploring.

No comments: